Tuesday, September 26, 2006

Food

As anyone that knows me already knows, I love food. I love to eat it, cook it, look at it, and especially, talk about it. Thus, it is only logical that sooner or later I need to write an entry about Cuban food. It was a huge transition for me, since my normal diet is kindof rabbit'like. Well, they don´t have any of that stuff here. Basically, I eat meat and eggs with a bit of bread or rice and beans. Quite a change. That said, the food is GREAT. Like every commodity here, food is bought at different levels: in CUC (money for tourists) or moneda nacional (cuban pesos). The majority of sitdown, indoor restaurants are only in CUC, sonormal cubans don´t really eat there. But there are little shops all over the place that sell food for cubans, REALLY cheap. I´m talking 40 cents for a sandwich and drink. So, here are some of my favorite things to eat here:

1) Mojitos: There´s a bar right across the street from our residence that sells 10 peso mojitos, that´s 40 cents. Dangerous.

2) Cerveza: They have pretty good beer and it tastes even better because it is so damn hot all the time.

3) Pork: They make it awesomely here, never thought I´d say that.

4) Croquetas: These are deep fried balls of I don´t know what mushed up. Scary, but delicious.

5) Batidos: Fruit'ice shakes they sell all over in these little stands.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home